Brittany Murphy was a talented actress who died too young, due
to her prescription drug addiction. She was best-known for role
in "Girl, Interrupted", and had been working on a film
entitled "The Caller", but was reportedly fired - or
left the set - because she was having trouble remembering her
lines. The original probable cause of death was a heart attack.
Friends reported that Brittany had a definite drug problem, centered
around a variety of prescriptions. They called her life "living
on the edge", and said she had begun running with a "bad
group" of people.
Murphy had many drugs at her disposal, when she died of an apparent
heart attack. The coroner eventually listed her cause of death
as an accidental overdose. There were many drugs found in her
system when she died. They include Hydrocodone, Propranolol, Fluoxetine,
Phenazopyridine, Chlorpheniramine and Dextromethorphan.
Murphy did not have any traceable illegal drugs in her system
at the time of her death, but her passing sheds even more light
on the dangers of mixing prescription drugs. The autopsy stated
that her death was accidental, and that the elevated levels of
the various medications in her system could not be discounted,
and she was in a pre-existing, weakened state.
Private Eye's ...
The detectives that worked Murphy's case reported that there
were not any pills spilled around her body, and that there were
some full and some empty bottles in her room. The drugs were not
all prescribed for her, which is a particular problem. At least
one was prescribed for her husband Simon Monjack, and at least
one for her mother. The pharmacy where the regularly prescribed
medications were dispensed would not have valuable information
about interactions, since the medications were prescribed to different
Murphy had a history of problems with hypoglycemia, and she had
been hospitalized for low blood sugar in 2009. Reportedly, she
had been having bouts of abdominal pain and shortness of breath
for over a week before she passed away.
Her mother found her in the bathroom, after she couldn't get
a response after Brittany had gone in a half hour before. She
discovered her daughter on the floor, and she was unresponsive.
911 was called.
Weakened Weekend ...
Her husband stated that Brittany had been suffering from laryngitis
for the days leading up to her death, and that she had been very
tired, having made two movies recently. The Hollywood grapevine
speculated that her death may have been hastened by anorexia,
a fact that the autopsy did not bear out. The weakened condition
was noted, however.
Murphy had been quite thin when seen in the days leading up to
her death. She had even admitted to someone that she was worried
about her current weight. She said she didn't want to be quite
as thin as she had become. Brittany reportedly became addicted
to prescription medications after several plastic surgeries.
As the story of the Brittany Murphy prescription drug addiction
has proven, accidental deaths that involve prescriptions are not
from any single one of the medications, as a rule. They occur
when medications are mixed with other prescription drugs, over
the counter drugs or alcohol. There are many drugs that are dangerous
to mix with other drugs or alcohol, including anti-anxiety drugs,
sleeping aids and antihistamines.